Damn these Indians!!!

They don't know how to think for themselves, have no
idea about how to govern. No brains. The inability to
communicate what changes they seek. They never had
before, they don't have it now and they will never
have. It is in their genes. When they don't seek any
changes or when they do indeed seek some others, they
are being stupid. When they mumble inanities to inane
questions they are being stupid twice over. Anything
good in governance or economy they have done is a
fluke. How did so many duffers gather in one place?

They need others in other parts of the world such as
St. Louis to instruct them how to lead their lives.

So why did these guys in St. Louis and other places in
America take 300 years to figure out that segregation
is a bad thing? And why of all things, does evolution
versus creationism takes so much political space?

Damn!!

:-)

>*** I have read maybe one or two articles at most
arguing in favor
>of widespread and radical reforms, in these last ten
years or so of
>my web-surfing life. I realize that means little. But
one can also
>make educated guesses about the desire for such among
the
>desi-population or among the ex-pats. Among the
desis, it is totally
>absent, the concept seems completely alien. Had that
been there,
>young and otherwise informed people like Mridul, who
are energetic
>about contributing their fair share to the collective
good, would
>not make the kind of arguments they do. And we have
seen these
>arguments in Assam Net umpteen times.
>
>When one poses such questions as "how do you see
things turned
>around", they become speechless, they mumble
inanities about how
>democracy is imperfect and other garbled
gobledy-gook. You have
>already heard the well-worn cliche:  " We are like
that only". If
>asked WHY people in India are 'like that only', they
would explain
>'our people are bad', Assamese are bad, Indiansare
bad, Gujaratis
>are REALLY bad, and so forth. And if you get real
mean and ask them
>how they remained good while their desi compatriots
are all bad,
>they slink away to get another drink to bury their
sorrows in, or
>play no-comprendo or begin to wax
pseudo-philosophical.

>However Ram, you can defend yourself well if you can
pull a couple
>of articles from your research or archives  and post
them in Assam
>Net. I will accept the notion that even such a small
sampling would
>establish a trend, even though it would be only
voo-doo statistics
>at best. Being the ever generous person I am, I would
also let you
>post your own arguments where you might have made
some credible
>arguments, explaining the whys and hows of such
reforms.

>But until such time, I shall not back down on my
assessment, and I
>shall bear the mighty burden of being charged with
'displaying utter
>disdain for all things desi', like I have always done
with quiet
>dignity and the strength of my aging  and drooping
shoulders.

>>More autonomy for states has always been accepted by
many people
>>for the Indian >democracy. But this should in no way
be construed
>>as 'sovereignity'.  Right now >we do not see any
valid arguments
>>for a sovereign Assam - politically or >practically.
>

>*** Now for the juicy part, the petit-sirloin, to
bite into:

>I remember that. And I certainly admire such
broadmindedness. But
>there is a little catch here, it could 22, could be
23. It is to
>expose that little catch that I posed the question to
" mwr Oxom
>Netor manoniyo bondhuxokolok, ji-xokole
>oti-bibesonaxilotare aru modhyostotare 'swayttwo
xaxon'r proxongxa
>kori adori loboloi issa prokax korisil: Apwnalwkok
kiyo 'oxomor
>babe' swayotto xaxon lage'? Apwnalwkor monot kiyo
oxomok swaytooto
>xaxon lage, jar obihone oxomot xanti aru unnotir
probol byaghat
>ghoti ahise ba bhobisytot ghotibo? Pise mwrei
durbhagyo, uttorot
>kewol mwr xadharonote xobak bondhuborgoi hoy
amta-amta korile, nohoy
>nimati koinar rup loi swsa mari rwh ghorot xwmalgoi
eke' kwbe'."

>( This will be hard to translate, but I will try.
TGIF after all: I
>posed the question" Why do you want autonomy for
Assam, without
>which it either cannot
>achieve peace or continue on a path of progress? But
it was my
>misfortune, that when I posed the question, my
otherwise articulate
>and honorable opponents in these debates, either
resorted to
>inscrutable platitudes or took umbrage at my
>asking nasty questions.)
>

>But I won't hold my friends in suspense for ever: I
asked the
>question to lead us to the next possible eventuality:
What if any
>possible 'autonomy' would not come with the freedom
to enact
>effective reforms in the many significant areas, such
as the
>electoral process, the system of law enforcement and
justice,
>getting rid of outdated and unenforceable laws and
regulations whose
>only function is to continue to empower
corruption,power to
>prioritize development, the control of resources,
authority to levy
>taxes, usher-in enlightened development and economic
policies, so on
>and so forth?
>
>Without those it will amount to little  more than
'kona-haanhok
>potan dhan diya". And  why am I suspicious of such?
Because the
>examples of fakery, of promising the world but never
delivering, so
>abound the history of Center Assam relations.
>
>Would my esteemed Assam Net opponents still be
satisfied with such
>'make-believe autonomy' ? And if not what what would
their options
>be after they gave away their shop?
>
>Would they continue to echo such vacuous slogans like
">do not see
>any valid arguments for a sovereign Assam -
politically or
>practically."
>
>That is my question for the patriotically hog-tied,
but inwardly and
>silently reform-minded opponents of Assam Net.
>

>>But the question seems to be that this notion of
peace hasn't even
>>sunk into >some of our brilliant netters.
>
>Could it be because they are blinded by the
brilliance of their own
>light? Or could it be that they are still remaining
mired in old
>fashioned and outdated pursuits of attempting to
figure what came
>first: The breach of the peace due to a dire need for
a reformed
>governance with real powers to have an effective say
in their
>futures, or the eventuality of autonomy or reform
that could not
>come
>unless there is peace.
>
>That my esteemed friends is the conundrum YOU ALL
have to resolve.
>For my little
>kharkhowa mind cannot fathom the depths of such deep
and mysterious
>subjects. Not in this life anyway.
>
>c-da :-)

>At 7:05 PM +0000 3/25/05, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
>>C'da,
>>
>>  > *** I have no problem with your respect for
Indian democracy.
>>However it ought NOT to be a >blind one. That
because it is Indian,
>>its flaws ought to be overlooked or hidden, or its
failures and
>> >shortcomings ought to be accepted as inevitable.
>>
>>Over the years we have discussed this in some for ot
the other.
>>That the Indian Democracratic practice needs an
overhaul is not
>>'news'.
>

>>  People with interest in India have always
advocated some reform
>>or the other. And no one is accepting these flaws as
inevitable. If
>>one were to assume that 'Indians accept these flaws
as inevitable'
>>then it only shows the utter contempt and disdain
some have for
>>anything 'Indian'.
>>
>>  >That is why I advocate at least an autonomy, if
not sovereignty,
>>for various constituencies of >the union.
particularly Assam, to
>>allow them to change, re-tool their system of
governments,
>> >democratically, but in ways that would allow
people to hold its
>>govts. accountable, to enable it >to manage the
affairs of state in
>>modern ways, by picking the best practices and
putting in >place
>>that man has devised so far.
>>
>>More autonomy for states has always been accepted by
many people
>>for the Indian democracy. But this should in no way
be construed as
>>'sovereignity'.  Right now we do not see any valid
arguments for a
>>sovereign Assam - politically or practically.
>>
>>**However I must add that such changes do not have
to be via arms
>>and violence. Long term planning and gradual change
should be the
>>guiding principles,** -- DD
>>
>>That is correct. But the question seems to be that
this notion of
>>peace hasn't even sunk into some of our brilliant
netters. What are
>>the chances for other people to understand this.
Unless there is
>>peace in Assam, it is unlikely there will even be a
chance for some