As well as the time, when I was on Tinsukia Mail on
the way to high school when it stopped for about 4/5
hours in the middle of summer between stations near
Delhi. And the villagers took turns providing drinking
water to the whole train.

--- mridul bhuyan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

---------------------------------

There are some good experiences too :

About 4-5 yrs. back, my wife had to undergo an
abortion. After the abortion, during her next m/c, I
was out in office with a very hectic schedule. My wife
at home suddenly started bleeding very profusely. She
could not contact me in the office, however, managed
to call the neighbourhood punjabi lady. After
continuous bleeding, she fainted. The lady all alone
in the house managed to bring my wife to a nereby
hospital in a unconscious state and persuaded the
doctor to go for an emergency operation, which saved
the life of my wife. We will never forget that
incident atleast in our lifetime.

Mridul Bhuyan

>From: Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "Roy, Santanu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chan
Mahanta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <Assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu>
>Subject: RE: [Assam] Lethal dose of mannerism
>Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:57:20 -0500
>
>You are so right Santanu.
>
>Another anecdote:
>
>We, the dept. of Architecture from IIT KGP, were on
an India wide
>excursion. On our way to Bhakra Dam from Delhi by
bus, two of our
>girl classmates, needed to go bathroom in a bus stop
somewhere in
>between, in a small town. The bathroom at the stop,
as expected, was
>beyond belief. None of us could go in there. But us
guys had ways to
>go find relief. The girls, one a Punjabi the other
Bengali, went to
>a private residence nearby and asked if they might be
able to use
>their facilities. Guess what? They were rudely turned
away. We were
>horrified. It hit me so hard, that for a long time
thereafter I felt
>awful about those folks. I tried to rationalize that
if every bus
>had a passenger or two who would go asking to use
their facilities,
>it could be a terrible problem. One could understand
their refusal.
>But somehow I never could come to terms with that
experience. It was
>very upsetting. And those unfriendly faces staring at
us strangers
>remain etched in a jolted psyche.
>

>At 9:43 PM -0500 5/11/05, Roy, Santanu wrote:
>>There are always the good, the bad and the ugly. And
among the
>>upward moving private sector workers, the need to be
polite and
>>courteous has finally entered the incentive system.
>>
>>But it is true that left to his or her elements, an
average person
>>from the Delhi-Haryana- eastern Punjab-Western UP
belt is much more
>>likely (than say, an eastern or southern Indian) to
be rude to a
>>stranger for absolutely no reason at all. In the
rural areas, a
>>woman who is not from the village is often fair game
for
>>molestation. It is ingrained in the culture of the
place - a brutal
>>history of conflict and struggle for survival
against a very
>>hostile climate that has prevented the growth of any
soft social
>>norms. In a sense, gods died there long time ago.
>>Santanu.

Chan Mahanta
>>Sent: Thu 5/12/2005 10:40 AM
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
>>Subject: Re: [Assam] Lethal dose of mannerism
>>
>>Kamal:
>>

>>I understand your disgust. I was treated worse at
the
>>left-luggage-shack at Delhi airport. I kept thinking
about why that
>>punk was so rude. Later I thought that perhaps he
expected a hefty
>>'bakshish'. Not that I am tight-fisted to the degree
that I could
>>not
>>leave him a tip, but that comes AFTER the business
transaction.

>>On the other hand I had this terrific experience
with a young KLM
>>representative in the horrendously chaotic IGI
Airport: He helped
>>us
>>with the check-in line, came to look us up every ten
or fifteen
>>minutes as we progressed at snails pace to the
boarding gate, a
>>very
>>helpful and courteous young man. So I offered a
decent tip at the
>>end. But he would NOT accept it. I tried to explain
to him that
>>there
>>is nothing wrong in accepting it. But to no avail.
He kept saying,
>>Sir, it is my job.
>>
>>Another example:
>>
>>We stayed at a fancy hotel at the posh Delhi suburb
of of Gurgaon
>>once. The folks were very nice. Too nice--to the
degree that our
>>daughter was complaining that the overly helpful
young lady was
>>getting too personal :-).  Anyway, my niece, who
works at a
>>call-center, came to dinner with us at the hotel,
and then we all
>>went to the airport straight, to fly back. There was
not enough
>>time
>>for me to drop her off at her apartment. I was
worried sick, that
>>she
>>would have to go back home from the airport, alone,
that late in
>>the
>>evening, in a Delhi taxi-cab. But  explained my
predicament to the
>>hotel front desk clerk before he called the taxi. He
said "Sir,
>>don't
>>worry'. I gave a fat tip to the taxicab before he
drove off from
>>the
>>airport with my niece in his taxi. Sure enough there
was NO
>>problem.
>>But I WAS worried sick, until we got home and spoke
to my niece.

>>The morale of the story: There are plenty good and
decent folks.
>>The
>>bad rap comes from the bad apples, who need to be
held accountable.

wrote:

>>>Ram and Mridul,
>>>
>>>Delhites, by and large,are routinely
discourteous.This is my
>>>personal opinion.On my way back from Assam via
Delhi ( during my
>>>last visit),I asked an airline attendant,who was
chatting with his
>>>colleague in the airport departure lounge " Excuse
me,where is
>>>gate
>>>number---?" He looked at me and shot back " Can't
you see the
>>>numbers written on the gates ?".With that he went
back to his
>>>discussion. I was astounded .Here was a man, who
was supposed to
>>>be
>>>helping and guiding the passengers, shirking his
>>>responsibilities.Well, I had,perhaps, committed the
cardinal sin
>>>of
>>>disturbing a customer service representative during
an important