Assam chief minister (CM) backtracks on claim of Bangladeshi

Immigrants

http://www.bangladesh-web.com/news/view.php?hidDate=2005-05-27&hidType=TOP&hidRecord=0000000000000000046202

Friday May 27 2005 12:16:51 PM BDT

Within weeks of informing the Indian Supreme Court that ‘large-scale illegal immigration from Bangladesh’ was a problem, the Assam chief minister, Tarun Gogoi changed his position and said he did not consider the influx ‘threatening’, according to Outlook India magazine.( The New Age BD )

‘Infiltration has been going on for years, I am not denying it, but I do not consider it threatening,’ he said in an interview to BBC’s ‘Hardtalk Asia’ programme.

Claiming that infiltration was on the decline over the last three years, Gogoi also said in a television interview that
Assam governor Ajay Singh should provide facts to substantiate his report that 6,000 immigrants entered the state everyday.

When asked by the interviewer, Karan Thapar about the affidavit filed by the
Assam government in the Supreme Court on April 13 that ‘large-scale infiltration from Bangladesh’ was a problem, Gogoi said, ‘I have changed my position.’

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE!