Title: Re: [Assam] Daam Borhwa Resignation?
Chan Da, I am not aware of what you believe, but I can tell you that in present India, Congress along with Lalooa's RJD & the red brigade are the sole bearer cum protector of Secularism in India.

*** You and Rajib miss the point entirely.

Just because the Congress party or the RJD WAVE that secular flag and lay claim to it, does not make them the real standard bearers for secularism in India.

The fact is that India cannot and will not survive if it renounces secularism. India does not stand a snowball's chance in heck, if it throws secularism out the window and declares itself a Hindu state.

Yes, secularism, like everything else in Indian society, have degenerated to the point of destruction. But those who know its importance are fighting the battle to safeguard it.

Unfortunately a lot of otherwise good people, that includes a lot of your generation Mridul, who do not realize that just because the Congress or RJD have misused and exploited secularism, it is somehow bad for India or the cause of its many problems.

Instead of attempting to get to the source of its problems with secularism, some of these the desi 'intellectuals ' have been thrashing around with ridiculous pursuits like giving the word a new desi meaning, or discovering brands of secularism like 'western' secularism or 'desi-secularism'. That is like TRUTH having different kinds, western or Indian or Chinese. Or Indian concept of GOOD being different from the western kinds! Or attempting to portray that TRUTH or GOOD are fundamentally western concepts and are thus inapplicable to the Indian context! Imagine that!

But these folks do not have the intellectual courage to look at the real issue -- that of ancient Hindu bigotries and the recent Muslim fundamentalism/militancy.

Even that could possibly have been managed, I mean this source of ancient angst.
But it is further complicated by the myriad of political parties of Indian Democracy, which gives even small parties--interest groups, clout, foiling the Hindu supremacists' plans and pretensions. So what do they do--instead of looking at the source--their own bigotries, they blame SECULARISM!

So what is the answer? Fundamental political reforms! Also thoughtful Indians will have start PROMOTING secularism instead of demonizing it or exploiting it for political ends, just like they have stop exploiting their religions for political ends and instead focus on BELIEVING in their religious mores.

Fake goes only so far.

At 2:17 PM +0530 6/9/05, mridul bhuyan wrote:
>*** Just because the Congress party could not rise above its
>members' Hindu bigotries in giving the Muslims the ol' heave-ho at
>independence, does not mean it is a sin of the secular Indians. The
>Congress party is NOT the sole standard bearers of India's secular
>polity, is it?
Chan Da, I am not aware of what you believe, but I can tell you that in present India, Congress along with Lalooa's RJD & the red brigade are the sole bearer cum protector of Secularism in India.

>From: Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Rajib Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
>Subject: Re: [Assam] Daam Borhwa Resignation?
>Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:18:22 -0500
>
>>>Essentially LK Advani has thrown the gauntlet at the RSS to get
>>>out
>>of  BJP.
>
>*** I will believe that when I see that happen. Anyone whose
>protege' is Nerobhai Modi, could not be that far off from RSS or VHP
>ideologies. Besides, would the BJP stand a chance without VHP, RSS,
>Shiv Senas and the Bajrang Dal?
>

>>it seems it was a secular sin too. The Congress /
>>Nehru Gandhi parivar came out strongly against Jinnah.
>

>*** Just because the Congress party could not rise above its
>members' Hindu bigotries in giving the Muslims the ol' heave-ho at
>independence, does not mean it is a sin of the secular Indians. The
>Congress party is NOT the sole standard bearers of India's secular
>polity, is it?
>

>At 6:49 PM -0700 6/8/05, Rajib Das wrote:
>>One school of thought is it is not. Essentially LK
>>Advani has thrown the gauntlet at the RSS to get out
>>of  BJP. And BJP (or at least those having allegiance
>>to Advani / Vajpayee) wants to chart its own path
>>independent of RSS. The reason being, while BJP will
>>continue to be nationalist, it wants to free itself of
>>the rabidity of the VHP and many of the arcane ideas
>>of the RSS. What they realized in their short time at
>>leading the government is that for the party to move
>>forward, it needs to liberate itself from any kind of
>>idealogy and focus on governance and economy.
>>
>>But then it is a sorry state of affairs when
>>politicians have to go all the way to Pakistan to get
>>the fealty of Indian Muslims. Laloo with his Lahori
>>aloo did it to great effect. Rajiv Gandhi brought
>>Benazir to Lucknow. Worse even LKA has had to do it.
>>The entire Indian political class has not given up the
>>two nation theory. And then they denounce Jinnah.
>>
>>Incidentally, calling Jinnah was not just a Hindu sin,
>>it seems it was a secular sin too. The Congress /
>>Nehru Gandhi parivar came out strongly against Jinnah.
>>God forbid, historians in India find out really how
>>much Nehru was instrumental in partitioning India.
>>

>>--- Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>  Is this another one of those 'daam borhwa'
>>>  resignations ( resignation
>>>  to increase stature)?
>>>
>>>  Any bets :-)?

> [...]

Sajnaave or Dhoom machaale? Make your favourite song win! Vote [EMAIL PROTECTED] IIFA Awards!