> Is it any different anywhere else in the north east?
> Isn't Assam the same?

I am not fully aware whether in Assam a certain portion of jobs and
contracts are reserved for ex-militants? I have heard SULFA guys were
given jobs and money.

In any case, such policies may only encourage some to take to
militancy, knowing that the Govt. in the end will give up the ghost,
and in bringing them back to the main stream will throw them the red
carpet.

One would only have to guess what a future independent Assam
controlled by ex-militants look like? Loot the state treasury, while
common people cower for fear of being killed?

Policies like the what the Israelis have: no negotaitions with
terrorists or militants is probably the best way.