umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:50:19 +0100 (BST)
From: umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Frgraduates-list] For 2005 batch -- tips on job hunting in World Bank etc - temps/intern

Hi,

I just met a senior at an international NGO. Previously I ha met her in March at DC and at Stanford Univ when she was one of the 4 persons listening to my presentation on Indian private and Public education.

She  said that I should definitely approach the HR department of World Bank and other NGOs -- and seek to work as a "temp" - temporary worker - for clerical or data entry or any other work - in their educational wing (as per my visa conditions.) She too had done that as had some of her batchmates from the IEP program at Harvard GSE. She later got a job at World Bank as a consultant as did her friend. It is difficult to get a permamnet job at World Bank she said - nowadays.

Secondly, she mentioned that if you become an intern - you are considered at par with other employees - and if some opening comes up (as her own post next week - since she leaves to do a PhD this Fall) they are the first to be offered the post. If they have been doing satisfactory work and are interested - they are hired !!  Only later it is open to general public. In NGOs posts get filled up within 2 weeks - so that work doesn't get held up - though in govt or World Bank it may take months to fill up a permanent post.

So informational interviews with concerned persons is very useful - both for jobs or interships . But someone specific in that organization should be targetted - through some source. Setting up a meeting time by phone or email is better than making cold calls -since everyone has prior engagements for the day ( I had made a cold call on her by caling from outside her office- but then next week she would have already started packing her bags).

Temp jobs or internships help get u inside the organization -- so later you can contact the staff members from inside - for job opportunities. Personal touch helps it seems.

Best.

Umesh

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com _______________________________________________
Frgraduates-list mailing list