Assam separatists admit oil raid
The top separatist group in India's Assam state says it was behind
attacks on pipelines which oil officials say have critically damaged
operations.
But the United Liberation Front of Assam denied it killed four people
in a bombing of a marketplace near state capital Guwahati on Sunday.

Police had blamed Ulfa for the bombing at a bus stop in Boko, 40km (25
miles) west of Guwahati.

Ulfa has been fighting for a separate Assamese homeland for two decades.
Analysts say the group often steps up attacks ahead of India's
independence day on 15 August.

Talks doubts
Assam police intelligence chief Khagen Sarmah told the BBC he was sure
the Ulfa was behind all the attacks.

There was no reason why we should kill our own people
Paresh Barua (right)

"No other group in Assam has the capacity to set off explosions at
such distances within hours of each other in such a synchronised
manner, only the Ulfa can do it and they have a reason for doing it
now," he said.

The military wing chief of Ulfa, Paresh Barua, told the BBC its
fighters had carried out the pipeline attacks.

He said the fighters "would continue to attack Indian economic and
military targets" but on the Boko bombing said: "There was no reason
why we should kill our own people."

He said: "Government agents are throwing grenades and bursting bombs
in crowded markets to defame us and confuse our people."

An attack on Sunday at Chellakapar, in Assam's northern district of
Sibsagar, destroyed part of a pipeline of the state-owned Oil India
Limited.

About 12 armed rebels overpowered the guards at midnight and set off
explosives by remote control.

It took several hours to control the fire and it would take a few days
to repair the pipeline, said general manager (services) of Oil India,
AK Bhandari.

The head of Oil India's operations in Assam, GK Talukdar, told
Associated Press: "Our production is on, but our storage capacity is
going down, and our operations are turning critical."

Analysts say efforts to open a dialogue between the Indian government
and Ulfa have almost fallen through after Delhi refused to release 10
senior rebel leaders.

"If [Delhi] is sincere about talks, our senior leaders should be
released so that we can form a consensus within our organisation about
how to go about the talks," Mr Barua said.