Hi Bhuban da,

> So far as his views on India and China are concerned, he is not alone in
> thinking in this vein.

You are right, he is not alone. But what I find interesting is VSN's
doublespeak, so to say. On the one hand he does not hold his punches,
but nevertherless he cannot stop writing (and visiting) about India.

I remember after reading his "India a wounded Civilization", VSN (who
at that time hadn't been to India) was full of expectations of how
welcome he would be, when he landed in India, but was in for a rude
shock. He soon found out that not only did any one NOT really care
about an Indian expat from the West Indies, but he profoundly missed
the red carpet.

He does talk about the invisible thread that makes West Indians eager
to visit India - even though generations before them have not.  (a la
Dr. Livingstone, or a Wordsworth yearning for Yarrow, and then being
dissapointed)

Maybe there is a lesson in there for our children/grandchildren who
have settled down in the West. Would they also be pulled into such a
vortex, full of expectations, but to be deflated upon arrival? I don't
know?

IHMO, visits to India (for someone who hasn't experienced it
firsthand) ought to be withought any preconceived notions. That way
they can actually enjoy all the mysticism and charms of an ancient
country.

But, I do agree with you with
> I hold the writer in great esteem and don't agree that he's a
> biased  statesman as described at times by certain critics during the  last
> two decades or so.

I too find him interesting.

--Ram