"We complain about how dirty the neighbourhood is but promptly dump
the garbage outside." TOI

_____________________________
Sunanda Kumar

Christianity condemns the 7 deadly sins of Pride, Greed, Envy, Wrath,
Lust, Gluttony and Sloth. But we have our very own desi set of demons
to battle with!

False formality

Why is it that every time someone offers us something to eat/drink our
automatic reaction is no, thank you? It's true! Think back to all the
times your host offered you snacks, or a second helping of dessert -
"No, Thank You" is the prompt reply even though you might be dying to
stuff your face with one more gulab jamun

The same goes for when an older relative gives you money on festivals
or birthdays - no matter how broke you are and that money could
probably bail you out of a life-threatening situation - the answer is
still a polite no.

The funny thing is that all we need is a little prodding and voila!
The dessert plate (or purse) is full again.

Fibbing

Few have mastered the art of fibbing as well as we Indians have. 'kaam
ho jaayega', 'haan haan zaroor aayenge' , 'will be there in five
minutes' are just some of the white lies we pepper our conversations
with on a day-to-day basis.

The fibbing is so intrinsic that when the plumber says he'll be there
at 3, you know he won't turn up before 7. Or when the vegetable vendor
claims the lauki is fresh, it's probably 3 days old.

Why just blame individuals though, the government itself subjects us
to the biggest organised tall-tale session of them all - Elections.

Bad manners

The extent to which we incorporate bad manners in our everyday life is
so deep that we don't even consider them to be rude.

Cutting in line is one such habit. Try standing in a line (if it
exists) at a McDonalds counter. Not only will you have at least 5
people cut before you, they do it so blatantly that you start
wondering whether you're the one who's cutting instead of them!

Spitting and urinating in public is almost like a birthright for most
Indians. Sometimes it happens so unashamedly that you feel more
embarrassed than the spitter or urinater themselves! The same goes for
scratching private parts openly.

Staring and pointing is like second nature to us. Not only do we not
discourage our children when they do it, we make sure that anyone who
doesn't fit our idea of a 'normal human being' gets the dose. The
victims include but are not limited to people who are overweight,
disabled, dressed differently, of 'other' sexual orientation.

Disregard for time

Procrastination, laziness, showing up late, arriving unannounced -
it's all a basic disregard for ones own as well as other people's
time.

A flexible attitude towards deadlines is one of the worst things we're
taught from the beginning. "I'll speak to your teacher," is a common
reassurance mothers offer their indolent children who haven't finished
their homework. Even in offices, soft targets like internal
presentations are hardly considered sacrosanct as they are in other
parts of the world.

IST - Indian Standard Time is a well-known phenomenon the world over.
You call someone over at 8, they show up at 10. It doesn't matter if
the entertainment they hired is paid by the hour or that the
appetisers will be obsolete since it'll be dessert time by the time
the guests finally arrive.

But why just blame guests? We do it ourselves don't we? 'I don't want
to be the first one to show up' or 'We told them we had to go to
another party before theirs' are common excuses we cook up.

Plagiarising

You can't dissociate India with Bollywood. And with plagiarism as its
foundation (even the name Bollywood is a rip-off of Hollywood!) the
entire Hindi film industry is a manifestation of our rip-off
tendencies.

But it's not just limited to films. Several of our business ides like
the ongoing mall mania and imax theatres are direct lift offs of
phoren ideas. There is nothing original about them.

We also copy their fashion trends (and conveniently ditch our own),
slang words and abuses, cuisines, heck we even copy their problems and
crises like incessantly worrying about loneliness and depression -
hello! We live in a country with a population of over 1 billion! You
can't be lonely if you tried!

One-upmanship

Although 'keeping up with the Jones'' is a concept that exists in the
West as well, it was probably invented in India! Competing with
neighbours over who has the bigger car, better house, fancier vacation
or brighter child has been an age-old fixation in India.

The one-upmanship transcends into more obscure territory like taking
credit for other people's ideas, being aggressive and unreasonable
just to show we are right and even in important issues like the person
we marry (my fiancé has a double major!)

Double standards

Where does one begin! We drop our pants at the first opportunity for
sex but expect our wives to be virgins. We complain about how dirty
the neighbourhood is but promptly dump the garbage outside. We scoff
at the saas-bahu serials but they have the highest TRP ratings.

We bitch about how our parents are so old-fashioned that they can't
understand your male friend is only a friend but swiftly change tracks
and jump to our own conclusions when we see two people of the opposite
gender together.

We profusely thank our hosts for a lovely evening but the minute we're
out, the gossiping and criticism begins. Belittling others is usually
a defence mechanism to cover up ones own flaws which is basically what
double standards are all about.