C'da,

>However, I DO have a problem with the nauseating degree of these 'fake' and sometimes >completely un-deserved courtesies that our people are either mired in, or are compelled to >perpetuate.

With this I agree. Last time at Guwahati, I wanted to touch base with an old friend of mine, who has now become a minister. When I called, the PA (probably an IAS) kick up the phone and 'robo dei, SAAR phone ot aise'

That 'Saar' kind of intrigued me.  But its not just ministers or bureaucrats.

But if you look at Indian/Assamese society as a whole all the rickshaw wallahs, thela walla, dohbis call everyone else 'babu' or 'memshhib' - whether they deserve it or not.

To that extent, this is a British holdover and the emphasis seems to be on eternal servitude.

The English have always use 'Sir' or 'Ma'am' to address others (whether they are knighted or benighted). In the US too, its pretty common. So, whats the difference between whats done in the West and in India.

I think: In the West, they say 'Sir' or 'Ma'am' without meaning in, while in India a sense of servitude is attached to such terms.

Just my thoughts.

--Ram