--- Begin Message ---
What Dr Manmohan Singh is suggesting is a constitutional process. ULFA's demand, and for that matter that of any insurgency group, is not based on India's Constitution. It is not democratic either; in fact it need not be democratic. Dr Singh has sworn in to promote, protect and preserve all that is there in the Constitution of India. The architects of the Indian Constitution were aware of the fact that India is a weak union made up of diverse elements -differences in religion, ethnicity, language, culture and so on - and it stressed that all efforts must be directed towards keeping India united. In this I accuse the Government of India of its haphazard efforts or no efforts at all in keeping India united. I also believe that a great disservice was done by the Sixth schedule with which Dr Ambedkar's name is associated. The sixth schedule was meant for a trial period of ten years but the Indian politicians do not have the guts to scrap it.In fact more and more people want to benefit from it. Even Dr Ambedkar was not happy at last. The caste system is so deeply rooted in Indian culture that he advised the dalits to convert to Buddhism. But I personally know that even after becoming converts they continued to benefit from the Sixth Schedule like all other backward people of India, i e the scheduled caste and scheduled tribes.

bhuban

--- End Message ---