C'da,

>Extremism and violence do not fall from the sky on some dark and
stormy night, on an 'ounxir >endhaar raati'. They brew over decades,
slowly building steam. Only after seeing no ability to >effect change,
get redress for grievances, do people finally, in desperation, take up
arms, knowing >full well that their likely rewards might just be death
and imprisonment. Hundreds of thousands of >ordinary people don't go
about courting death like this if there are any redress in sight or
seemed >achievable

No they don't. I think we all understand these from historical
missteps/errors whether they were in Delhi or in Assam.
The question is, what do we do now?

Here is a PM who IS TRYING to set
things aright. But you still want to go back and re-hash history and
blame the PM for even trying.

If Assam has any chance of peace, this PM (with his connections to
Assam) and his administrations is as close as you can get.
We can either keep griping and wail & moan or think forward and
capitalize on what we have here.

'Indian democracy', whether you like it or not is here to stay in its
present form and function. We can curse it all we want, we can hate
it, but the fact of the matter is Assam and her people, just like the
rest of India have to make the best of what they have.

Yes, we would all like improvements in many areas. But your solutions
so far has been a solution of 'throwing the baby with the bath-water'

Is that what we want for Assam - a state embroiled in uncertainity,
stunted growth, and myraid of other problems?

Solutions for an 'independent Assam' given all these conditions are
too far-fetched. Even taking your position - that the Indian democarcy
is wretched, IT is the GOI to which the insurgents will ultimately
have to go to for parleys. It is this same 'wretched' GOI that all
this has to come thru.

I know, you will come back and ask: Who is the GOI to give anything (all that mai-baap stuff) to Assam. But looking at the situation in a more practical sense (and without emotion), it is the GOI we have to deal with, and I should think with a PM like Singh who is far more decent than some we have had before, there is a pretty good chance at peace.

--Ram