From: "Bartta Bistar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
Subject: [Assam] What?? Indian/Muslim Churidar compulsory! Ban on Dokhna ! & othersacquiescing!!
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:44:19 +0000

Tension prevails over ban on Bodo dress

http://www.northeasttribune.com/4736.htm

NET News Network

Kokrajhar, Aug 21: Tension run high in the Surupeta BHB College in Barpeta district following the college authority banning the entry of Bodo students wearing the traditional Bodo ‘Dokhna’ dress in the college premises.

The Bodo students wearing the permitted colour Dokhna on Saturday were not allowed to enter in the college premises.

Tension started when the college authority introduced ‘churidar or ‘salwar kamij’ as the uniform for the girl’s students beginning this academic year which the Bodo students refused.

The college union bodies started boycotting the classes when the Bodo students refused to obey the dress code and continue attending the class wearing dokhna.

The Bodo students alleged that they were warned by the principal of expel from the college and of giving forceful transfer certificate if they do not come wearing churidar.

The college authority when contacted refutes the allegation saying the students were just requested to obey the order for peaceful atmosphere. ‘There was no warning as such. It was just a request, the authority said.

Different Bodo organization including the influential All Bodo Students’ Union (ABSU), Bodo Sahitya Sabha (BSS) and All Bodo Women Welfare Federation (ABWWF) has expressed serious concern and anguish over the issue saying its humiliating that the Bodo girls students are not allowed to wear the traditional dress Dokhna even though they put the same colour the college authority has adopted.

In a press release the ABSU said in a state like Assam with diverse ethnic group colour should be the basis of uniform but not the dress.

“The ABSU has nothing to say about the colour uniform but lawfully it would strongly oppose the senseless decision of the college authority for adopting the churidar as the only option for uniform dress”, the release stated.

“Churidar is not the dress of the Bodos and it cannot be the dress of Assamese people either”, added ABSU secretary Goutam Mushahary.

“We have got full right to preserve our own culture, custom, language and tradition as being the indigenous community. If we cannot have the right to protect and preserve our own culture in our own state then where lies the meaning of freedom and respect of indigenous tribal culture”, the release stated.

The Bodo organizations has appealed the college authority to think consciously, carefully and farsightedly ‘if they are really concern about Assam in particular and tribal culture in general.

The organization has also urged the Assamese intellectuals including the All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) and Assam Sahitya Sabha to come up with helping hands and give a meaningful thought for peaceful solution of the problem and for peaceful future of Assam.

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE!