We are very sorry to hear the sad news. It is a big loss for the Assamese
community in North America. She was a wonderful singer with a great
personality. At one of the yearly Assamese conventions, I remember requesting
her to sing one of my favorite songs "kuhi pat jen komal komal , o tor hahi"
before she went up to the stage. I didn't think she would sing the song. I
thought she had her own favorite songs to sing.  But she not only sang the song
she also  mentioned my name. I was  thrilled and felt like dancing when she was
singing.
  Last May, we saw her at Dittu Goswami's wedding in Toronto. She looked
fine.She sang Bihu songs at the wedding. Everybody was dancing while she was
singing.
  We are going to miss her.
  May her soul rest in peace.

  Dil Deka
  Houston, Texas

  If tears could build a stairway,
And memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to Heaven
And bring you home again.
~Author Unknown

alpana barthkur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    With a heavy heart, we are breaking this sad news that Mrs. Anima
Chakravarty is no more.   She breathed her last at the Peterborough hospital,
in Ontario, canada yesterday afternoon( Nov 25th) . She was one of those
"Xaboleel" asomiya voice which gave even an assamese song a REAL assamese
touch. She can sing "Gosor Patot Bihu Ahil, Bihu Nahil Monot" while in the
kitchen, and make it sound like a studio version. Her voice is so different,
original, and without any makeup that it touches listener's soul the moment it
hits their ear drums.

 Anima Baideu (Bou) to many of us is like a cultural ambassador to north
america from Assam, since her marrige to Dr. Iswar Chakravarty. In a TV
interview she was once compared to a rare orchid that Dr. Chakravarty took with
great care from assam's musical garden to be re-planted in North America. In
Bihu or any Assamese get-together accross North America, Bou's presence could
bring an unspoken gravity to the cultural programs on stage.

 Markin Kalpataru offers condolences to Mr. Iswar Chakravarty and family on
this great loss of an assamese musical icon of yesteryears. May her soul finds
a Nijora of eternal peace.

 Good bye Bou, we will remember you as an ever smiling Porie who gave us so
much ! You will be forever in our heart as that " Xil pai jopiuowa pahari
nijora joni..."
  Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and
get things done faster.