From: utpal borpujari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: assamonline@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:22:31 AM
Subject: [asom] Re: Report carves out quake belt-Aiport in high-risk, GU in
moderate

It could be a case of misquoting by the reporter, unless the official quoted is
a bureacrat who is not a scientist and thus could make such misleading comments
(usually senior DST officials are scientists themselves). It is not possible
that "population growth and encroachment" can "make areas susceptible to
earthquakes", as you said, and what my limited knowledge as a qualified
geologist says. I think the actual comment could have been something to do with
how the damage could be more extensive in times of earthquakes because of
population growth and encroachment - something that is waiting to happen in
Guwahati when the next Big Quake happens.

Utpal Borpujari
Re: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/assamonline/message/4065