To: assamonline@yahoogroups.com
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:15:15 +0530
Subject: [asom] But why not the same treatment for Assam?

Hi,

It is very true that media didn't give the justified focus to Assam flood.

If the recent Bihar flood had affected 2.5 million people, Assam also faced an
equal amount of people. Moreover this kind of annual devastation is recurring
for Assam. We are more prone to flood, loss of home & farm land, family,
cattle, wild-life, post flood diseases etc than any other states in India. If
you calculate the percentage of people evacuated during flood (to stay on
highways, relief camps etc) to total population of the state, we are at TOP.

Even IBNLive admitted this on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 "The massive scale of floods in
Bihar has diverted attention away from floods in other parts of the east." But
the sad part is that IBNLive too published the news on how the wild animals are
affected on the Kaziranga and Pobitra national parks.. but not on families
struggling with flood and staying on highways.

Because of proper media focus, the whole world is jumping to help Bihar. Almost
all corporate house and MNCs are donating (even employees are getting mail to
donate), many PSU are donating one day salary, if you open ICICI Bank site for
Personal Banking.. you will be redirected to donate money to Rehabilitation of
Bihar flood victims, Prime Minister is making appeal on News Paper to donate
money etc.. etc.

This is a highly appreciable steps by all the concerned parties.

But why not the same treatment for Assam?

Because no one outside Assam knows about current flood scenario. I personally
checked with few of my colleagues (highly qualified and not from Assam or
Bihar) who are very serious about Bihar flood and do not about Assam flood
situation. When I googled and show current news on Assam flood with picture...
its they only first said that "Why media is biased?".

Although the news is published on some small corners of some National prints,
but obviously the proper focus is never given to Assam flood.

Thanks and regards

Mrinal Singh Raja

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional