On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Tony Harminc <t...@harminc.com> wrote:

> Linux may well have facilities that I am not familiar with to scan
> modules for certain byte sequences, but any such static scan is going
> to be easily foolable by even a slightly motivated programmer. Linux
> could in theory, but we know does not in practice, interpret most
> programs at run time, and thus catch any behaviour it doesn't like, at
> an extreme cost in performance. What it cannot do is alter the
> architecture of the machine it is running on in violation of the
> Principles of Operation.

I think your assessment is accurate, though I had probably used far
less polite words for it...
Clearly there *is* something in Linux that is involved when a user
program is taken into execution, and you could envision to extend that
with code to "screen" the program (ignoring for the moment that Linux
does not actually load the code, but merely maps the module into the
address space and relies on demand paging to bring it in). The problem
with most malware however is that it uses "normal" instructions to do
bad things.
But when you run a program as non-root user, there's still limits to
what you can break. And z/Linux has some lucky aspects that make it
less likely a program can acquire root privileges.

Screening program code for bad things is fuzzy, as the frequent
updates of my antivirus software demonstrate. And it's not even
searching for the malicious code itself, but for fingerprints of know
malicious programs.

Rob