Hi all,

Due to a requirement by my client, I have developped a module in two
languages: HL-ASSEMBLER and ENTERPRISE-COBOL-4.2. The module has a lot of
mathematic operations and calls a variable number of times to CSF to cipher,
but there is NO ACCESS to FILES. It is coded as RENT in two languages.

I was surprised with CPU consumption: Assm takes DOUBLE CPU than COBOL to
perform the same work.

I have reformatted all (as I know) the assembler eliminating pack operations
and using registers and logical/binary operations as much as possible. I
used a workarea provided by calling program to eliminate OBTAIN STORAGE
.....but at the end... COBOL wins.

has anyone any experience or suggestion about?

Thanks a lot. Regards

angel luis domínguez
z/os system programmer-spain