From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Chris Mason
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:58 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: CPU: ASSM vs ENTERPRISE COBOL

Bernd

Since we're telling stories, this reminds me of a time in the early 1970s when
IBM was "pushing" PL/I.

I was in a technical support centre and a salesman called me in order to ask -
presumably "pass on" - a question. He said that it was known that PL/I carried
an "overhead" but "What was the "overhead" with assembler?".

I answered with as much sympathy replacing the natural scorn as I possibly
could! But now, having read this thread, I wonder if I gave the right answer!

Chris Mason