Everyone:

The POPs contains the text below within the description of the STIDP
instruction:

"When the format bit is zero, the contents of the CPU-identification-number
field, in conjunction with the machine-type number, permit unique
identification of the CPU."

Now, I always thought that the text above was stating that the CPU serial
number (6 chars, of which the rightmost four are useful) was 'guaranteed'
to be unique across all CPUs manufactured by IBM for that machine-type
number. However, I've found a case where two different customers of ours
both have 2817 machine types and the same CPU serial number.

Is this a nomenclature issue? One customer has a 2817-605, and the other
has a 2817-704. Both boxes have the same CPU serial number. Is the
'machine-type number' mentioned in the POPs text above supposed to refer to
the type plus sub-model, or just the type?

I thought I understood this until I found this apparent duplicate CPU
serial number case.

--
Mike Shaw
MVS/QuickRef Support Group