Rob,

I felt bad about posting it...it does waste storage under a
baseregister (which is still in most cases 4K)

Much better is the MACRO-way by Ed.J (and some extra code)

like this:

         MVI OUTBUF,C' '
         MVC OUTBUF+1(L'OUTBUF),OUTBUF
         MVC2 OUTBUF,=C'this is a sample'

Wastes instructions (but we are not into this any more), and space in
"procedure division" - (not covered by a base anyway).

>> ... Martin does not use it as often as he should (the second "=" should not
>> be
there... )

For the quick and dirty I do - but the ones to be shown use either
above technique or use a next available byte point (with appropriate
clearing if required).

--
Martin

Pi_cap_CPU - all you ever need around MWLC/SCRT/CMT in z/VSE
more at http://www.picapcpu.de