From: "Paul Gilmartin" <paulgboul...@aim.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 10 January 2012 5:17 AM

Yes.  The needs were mechanical because of contention between
type slugs.  I was surprised to learn, circa 1987, that MS Word
of that era required the author to specify those ligatures
rather than making it a function of the rendering filter.  I
don't know if it's better now.  I suspect that few word processors
were ever coupled to mechanical typesetters; the IBM Selectric
might have been kind of an exception.

The IBM Selectric Composer was extensively used for typesetting,
as it contained an inbuilt editor, coupled to the "Selectric".

believed to be clean.