On 1/10/2012 7:24 AM, John Gilmore wrote:
I hope that I am missing something.

The STCKE instruction, an unprivileged one, yields a 16-byte value at
a nominated storage location.

The difference between two such values, trimmed of their two rightmost
bytes (the programmable field), yields an elapsed time.

This value can then be formatted in a variety of ways.

No use of the TIME macro need or should figure in this operation.  Any
leap-second corrections would, for example, be washed out by the
subtraction:

(T + L) - (t + L) = T + L - t - L = T - t.

Why all this pother?

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

I thought about using the STCKE instruction as you suggest.

But it occurred to me using TIME and STCKCONV provides a
relatively easy way to get date and time into easily
formatted versions without going through the machinations
myself of converting TOD clock values.

Leap seconds are of no interest here, I just wanted to
display start and end date and time and then calculate
the difference as an elapsed time. The approach I ended
up using works fine for my needs.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html