Paul Gilmartin wrote:

<begin snippet>
Hardware detection of arithmetic exceptions is a boon here.  But one
ISV C compiler requires that the generated code be run with
fixed-point overflow interrupts disabled. Shame on the vendor!
</end snippet>

I agree with this sentiment, but the blame must be shifted to Dennis
Ritchie's shade.  I know of no serious C/C++ language compiler that
supports FIXEDOVERFLOW  for binary-fixed.  IBM's extension to support
packed/decimal-fixed does so.

DEC is gone, which I much regret; the architecture of the PDP-7 lives
on, which I much regret too.

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA