Just my two cents:

Preface:  A change control/configuration management system usually
automates existing policies and procedures for software deployment.  They
tend to vary wildly from installation to installation.  Off the shelf
products have difficulty handling all the specific needs of a
particular site:  Cost-effective compromises have to be made.

My experiences:  I have been in five sites where they wrote their own
systems.  In all cases, the results were satisfactory,
full-functioned, right-sized, cost-effective and still in use last I
heard.  In two cases, I participated in the initial design, implementation,
and on-going support; in two others, in enhancement, maintenance and
support.  At one site, it took the team 1 day to define the requirements
and design the command-level interface, a second day to code the core
functions, and a week to implement the basic
web-based developer interface.  Subsequent enhancement, support and
maintenance took about a staff-week per year.

Conclusions:

   - Consider the costs and benefits of designing and writing your own
   change control/configuration management system.
   - Use an open ended design, with a command line accessible core.
   - Use a release methodology (per Gartner Group and my experiences):
   Piecemeal (AKA emergency) deployments mean untested configurations in
   production .

YMMV

--
OREXXMan