On Jul 2, 2012, at 07:35, McKown, John wrote:

> I truly wish that the DFSMS people had the justification they needed to take
> the time to extend ACB mode processing to sequential datasets (QSAM/BSAM) and
> BPAM. But I guess there are a lot of 3-byte addresses still existing
> behind-the-sceens (such as the DEB to DCB pointer).

Wouldn't a wholehearted extension of ACB mode processing
entirely bypass the DCB and its 24-bit strictures?  But
wouldn't existing QSAM/BSAM/BPAM programs require massive
modifications to exploit this?

Regardless, nowadays, any 24->31 bit conversion is
underreaching; shortsighted; mostly wasted resource.
Go for 64!  Even while RMODE 64 execution is mostly
unsupported, the 64-bit interfaces can be coded and
the code run AMODE 64 below the bar in the interim.

If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we
had some eggs.

-- gil