From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of David Stokes
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 12:49 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: AW: Data spaces vs hiperspaces

>>Every time new instructions and new technologies are introduced, those who

Well, that's sort of obvious, but not the point. 31 bit mode was never used as
cache (at least by me) because you could write and run 31 bit programs in 31
bit storage. Certainly I started to do so as soon as it was available. One
could largely stop bothering about how big a program was without overlays as
well as how much data could be accessed. Maybe others didn't see the
possibilities and obvious rapid growth in computing that was occurring in the
Eighties so clearly? And with a few provisos any 24 bit program could run more
or less unchanged as 31 bit assuming it had been cleanly written (e.g., not
using the high order bytes of addresses as data, a practice maybe even IBM
should have avoided much earlier given the already obvious rapid growth of
computing when OS/360 was developed). For 64 bit however a whole range of new
instructions is needed, and not really because of the code which is essentially
still running 31 bit but in order to use 64 bit data. And the main poin!
 t there is of course that 64 bit storage can only hold data (essentially, in
current z/OS). So now you can load lots more data into main storage rather than
keeping it on external storage. Seems like a cache to me. Maybe that will
change some time.