You can use a character set symbols in open code for this purpose, as in

|&scopea(1)  setc 'single','all','common'    --supported-values array
|&scopesub seta . . .              --1|2|3
|&scopevar setc '&scopea(&scopesub)'
|        DSPSERV CREATE,
|              NAME=DSP_NAME,
|               SCOPE=&scopevar,
|               STOKEN=DSP_STOKEN,
|               BLOCKS=DSP_BLOCKS,
|               ORIGIN=DSP_ORIGIN,
|               NUMBLKS=DSP_#BLK,
|               MF=(E,WRKDSPLI)

There would not in my judgment be much to be gained from using a
register for this single character-string keyword-parameter value.

If you want to outline the criteria you will use to select SCOPE=
values I will be happy to suggest some conditional-assembly statements
that implement them.

In general, replacing equates with set symbols trivializes most
problems of this sort.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA