Well actually you write SLLG R0,R13,32  -  it has three operands and works much
like RLLG, R13 here remaining unchanged.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Im
Auftrag von John McKown
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 14:10
An: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Betreff: Re: how to: document usage of bit(s) of a register.

Hum. That is a possibility. But why replace 1 instruction with 2?

  RLLG R0,R13,32

vs.

 LR R0,R13
 SLLG R0,32

RLLG is 6 bytes. LR+SLLG is 2+6==8 bytes. So both sequences end up doing what I
want. And, to me, a single 6 byte instruction is "better" than 2 instructions
totaling 8 bytes. Admitted, the difference is moot in most cases. But why not
be as efficient as possible, when it is not any harder to code?

--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown