Not to take issue with JG on this but stacking operations definitely store a
lot more machine state than normal program linkage would require and so even on
the most current machines they take a lot longer.

It would be a bad idea to do wholesale replacement of traditional entry/exit
linkage with BAKR/PR.

But we're talking in terms of microseconds per instruction.  The stacking
instructions are enormously valuable in situations where the alternative would
require you to obtain storage. They will ALWAYS outperform OS storage
obtain/release by many orders of magnitude.

So use them appropriately for your situation and there's no real down side. At
this point I would usually feel compelled to throw in a remark about
interactions with recovery. But I am on a phone, so I won't.

CC