On 2014-01-08, at 08:10, Andreas F. Geissbuehler wrote:

> I need correcting before the picking starts :)
>
>> That's only about 7 tons of hard pressed snow.
> make that 20..40 tons (~300..600kg/m3)
>
>> ...you would need 70,000kcal/degree to melt...
> If you can't wait until July, 35,000 Cal per degree (C|K)
> should do - kcal / Cal / Kal = kilo-calorie
> 1 Cal = 1kg water / degree (C|K)
>
> Hopefully I made my point in favor of SI !

Domesting heating is measured in BTU; cooling in tons (of
melting ice?) and fuel energy is billed in therms (whatever
that is).

Hubble's constant has unit km/sec/Mpc (which reduces to Hz
with some minuscule coefficient.)

On 2014-01-08, at 07:55, Ian S. Worthington wrote:

> Here in Colombia everything is metric.  Apart from gasoline (US gallon), and
> meat (pounds, where 1 pound = exactly 1/2 kilo).
>
> And we too have the 15 day fortnight and up the ante with the 8 day week.

Is that perhaps a relic of classical inclusive counting, which
accounted an olympiad as five years?

On 2014-01-08, at 20:37, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

>> "Half inch or three-quarters?"
>
> I see no problem with the question. The pipe is still made in half
> and three-quarter diameters (not metric diameters) since it is a
> standard item and needs to work with older fittings/etc. The lengths
> however have switched over to metric lengths.

And that's a nominal inside diameter, which varies according
to wall thickness.

And there are the wire gauges, which depend on the metal,
and increase numerically with decreasing diameter.  I imagine
medieval ironmongers who simply numbered the spools on shelves
with no mutual coordination.

And rod gauges (screw shanks, e.g.) which decrease numerically
with decreasing diameter.

> Hopefully I made my point in favor of SI !

-- gil