No John, it is not a PC/Unix/Linux conspiracy

I posses a book that was published on 2006 by Gabe Gargiulo and it is NOT the
first version of that book (and it is not a hard-to-read manual from IBM, just
a common basic book for self learning of Rexx.)  The name of this book it "The
Rexx Language on TSO".  On page 160, the author put in a frame (for extra
emphasis:) and here is what Gabe says in simple English:

The devious '*'
"EXECIO * DISKW OUTFILE"
I've seen an * used in writing.  I do not use it, because it requires a null
line to signify 'end of file'.
What if you wanted to write a null line?  You wouldn't be able to.

The issue of '*' in EXECIO DISKW is well known, well documented and is
problematic for few reasons, but I think Gabe summarized it from both ends, if
you use '*', you both need a null line lest Rexx won't know were to stop... and
you cannot print an empty line (i.e. length 0).

Ze'ev Atlas