EJ's distinction between, say, command-language option values and
macro-instruction keyword-parameter values is not always a firm one.

I often make a CL available for use in generating macro instructions.
Consider a simple table-gerneration situation in which, say, the macro
definition TABGEN has a usage= keyword parameter, the values of which
are

o usage=initial,

o usage=entry, or

o usage=final

If now I permit a CL user to specify in effect the value of usage= in
a macro instruction by so arranging things that any element in one of
the rows

o i, in, ini, init, initia, initial,

o e, en, ent, entr, entry, or

o f, fi, fin, fina, final