Ref:  Your note of Fri, 7 Nov 2014 06:12:17 -0700

> On 2014-11-07, at 02:15, Jonathan Scott wrote:
> >
> > It is obviously necessary to ensure that any case which is already
> > supported by HLASM should continue to be processed in exactly the
> > same way for complete compatibility.
> >
> I disagree.  I believe that one case in which HLASM produces an
> algebraically incorrect base-displacement resolution (but perhaps
> this should be considered not "support" but "defect") should
> result in "could not be resolved".
>
> -- gil

If a product does something which is not consistent with its own
documentation, then that's clearly not "supported".

The solution in such cases depends on consideration of the
potential impact of any change, and may involve either changing
the code or the documentation (or a bit of both).

Although there are well known defects in the area of overflow or
wrap relating to HLASM address calculations, I don't recall ever
hearing of any customer problem report being submitted for this.

In this particular case, it's a bit tricky anyway.  HLASM fails
to detect overflow and wrap in certain cases, but as always there
are cases where intermediate results could wrap but the final
result could be correct.  As the addressability calculations are
implicit, the user does not have direct control over the
expression evaluation.  Perhaps a workable general rule would be
to make it work as if HLASM did addressability calculations using
longer arithmetic then only checked for overflow when mapping the
final result back to 31-bit signed.

Jonathan Scott
IBM Hursley, UK