I agree with the need to modernize the look and feel of the manual. It still appears to be based in the 360 version, which was always used in hardcopy, and could be easily paged through to find the instruction (once you remembered which were decimal and which general so you looked in the right chapter). The two column presentation is an anachronism in a reference document that is, I suspect, rarely printed.

There already is a "How to use" section in appendix A. What I would appreciate is more help with "When to use". To that extent grouping instructions by function rather than alphabetically helps, so, for example, all methods of moving memory into registers are introduced with a general paragraph with links to the subgroups of different instructions (loads, inserts, ...).

I would hope that, just as data in databases can be presented in various ways, someone could come up with publishing techniques that would present this reference data in a variety of ways depending on the needs of the end user. For example, if I would like to drill down alphabetically by mnemonic, instruction name, or opcode, each should be available; Appendix A information should be optionally displayable when I access the reference information for the instruction.

In an ideal world, the information would be packaged in a way that it would make it relatively easy for the original poster in this thread to create a front end that would transform it, with his own additions for instructional purposes) into an appropriate document for a learner of assembler language.

Gary Weinhold
Data Kinetics, Ltd.

On 2014-11-13 08:00, Binyamin Dissen wrote:
My opinion is that the reference should be a reference and not a how-to-use
guide (as would be used in programming classes).

I have no problem with a "How to write and assembler program" manual, but it
is outside the scope of the POPs.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:52:17 +0000 "Ward Able, Grant" <gwarda...@dtcc.com>