From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 9:45 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Redesigning the Principles of Operation Manual

I would presume that a mechanism that permitted an ordinary programmer to
create and access his/her own address spaces would automatically limit any
access to the initial address space (batch/TSO/Unix) and any address spaces
created from it, and prohibit access to address spaces not created by the
originating address space.  The programmer ought to be able to write and use
PC-ss code to perform functions in any of the self-created address spaces, and
thus be able to create and test viable client/server programs to perform any
envisioned business function.  Authorized programs and privileged instructions
ought not to be required to build such systems.

Accessing address spaces you did not create (i.e., "spying" in other user's
address spaces) is not what I imagined or desired.  Any such "spying"
capability (and much more so any mechanism permitting modification of contents)
must of course come with authorization requirements for the security and
integrity of the whole system.

But who does it hurt if I bollix my own self-created address spaces?  That
should have no more impact on the entire system than bollixing my own task does
now.

There are other hard questions, like how to limit how many such address spaces
can be created by any one user to prevent "runaway" space creation and virtual
page disk space exhaustion, but these are more properly answered by control
mechanisms in the operating system, not in the hardware.

How to design such a hardware environment is well beyond my capabilities, so I
will not try to directly answer that question.  I was merely pointing out that
I thought that the hardware design which IBM created was not an ideal one from
the standpoint of the ordinary (but sophisticated and experienced) application
programmer.

Not that I expect any of the current design to ever change of course.  It is
now written in stone.

Unix programming "fork" capabilities, shared memory objects and mutex signaling
mechanisms provide some of the functional capabilities I described above, but
not the full range of course.

Peter

attachments from your system.