The HLASMTK SPMs have been doing this for years. Macros like IF are OPSYNed to ASM_IF, and the source for ASM_IF is in the copy member.

-- M. Ray Mullins Roseville, CA, USA http://www.catherdersoftware.com/ http://www.z390.org/ German is essentially a form of assembly language consisting entirely of far calls heavily accented with throaty guttural sounds. ---ilvi French is essentially German with messed-up pronunciation and spelling. --Robert B Wilson English is essentially French converted to 7-bit ASCII. ---Christophe Pierret [for Alain LaBonté]

On 2015-01-22 05:54, Tony Thigpen wrote:
I have used longer-than-8 macros for many years. Works great. I have one source macro that I include at the top of the member that is just 8 characters long. Inside, it has many macro 'redefs' so that I can use a long macro name in the code, but it gets converted to a shorter 8 character macro before going out to the library to get the macro.

A short example:

         MACRO
&NAME    PERFORM_ON &ADDR,&BAD_VALUE=
&NAME    PERFORMO &ADDR,BAD_VALUE=&BAD_VALUE
         MEND

Then, in my code, I use the longer PERFORM_ON.

Some of my macro names are quite long, like:
GET_FIRST_IN_CHAIN
ADD_END_OFF_CHAIN
FIND_IN_CHAIN

Tony Thigpen