Given some of the new instructions, such as LGZR, I wish IBM would
publish a manual with a title like: "What were the architects thinking
of? Explanation of the reasons behind the instructions in the z
architecture". Some are obvious, like L, ST, A. But why a single
instruction to do this? Is it _that_ often used? And POPCNT is another
one. Why do I need to know the number of 1 bits in each individual
byte in a GPR? Is it _that_ common a question in application or system
code? I can see the use for LT vice L + LTR

Maranatha! <><
John McKown