Gary,

Do you have a storage dump available?

John P. Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Gary Weinhold
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:05 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: BSA (Branch and Set Authority)

I decided to start looking at the BSA instruction as part of a solution to
accessing memory in various keys using key 0.

I'm running a reentrant program from an authorized library (so it's loaded in
key 0) in problem state; I get a S0D3 abend, which I assume is PIC 13 Special
Operation exception, executing the following code:

          LARL  R6,BSA_RA        Address for reduced authority routine
          OILH  R6,X'8000'       Mark address 31-bit
          LLILF R5,X'00C00090'   preserve PKM, switch to Key 9
          BSA   R5,R6            Off to Reduced Authority routine

BSA_BA   DS    0H               Return to base authority

BSA_RA   DS    0H               Reduced authority routine
          SR    R6,R6            zero R6 in order to return
          BSA   R5,R6            Return to base authority
          DC    X'00DEAD00'      If something unpredicted happens

I abend S0D3 in the BSA_RA routine on the BSA instruction. Until I had the
program in key 0 memory, I abended S0C4 as I entered the BSA_RA routine at the
SR R6,R6 instruction because the program was loaded in key 8 fetch-protected
memory.

The only reason listed for a Special Operation exception for BSA is if
R6 is non-zero when returning to base authority.  And the dump shows it is
zero, and PSW is not updated with the address of BSA_BA.

Does anyone have any ideas of what probably obvious thing I'm missing here?

Regards, Gary

--

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect

DATAKINETICS | Data Performance & Optimization

Phone   +1.613.523.5500 x216
Email:  weinh...@dkl.com

Visit us online at www.DKL.com

E-mail Notification: The information contained in this email and any
attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other
intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you
notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your
mail system.