The fact that a G00V00 DSN has rolled off and been uncatalogued need not
mean that the tape has expired.  Even specifying delete in the GDG base
definition has minimal effect on a tape dataset.

If memory serves, there are multiple CA-1 options and at least one CA-1
utility program that deal with catalog/TMC synchronization.

Catalog for a
> generic name?
> In a nutshell, what I am wanting to do is look up in the catalog all
entries for a GDG base
> name.
>
> Currently my program issues a call to the IBM Catalog Search Interface
(CSI) program,
> IGGCSI00, passing the GDG name and I get back all entries that are
currently cataloged.
> However, if I go to CA-1's TSO Inquiry panel and put in the GDG name
modified to have a
> low level qualifier of "-" (CA-1's equivalent of "*"), I get back 621
entries. Since the GDG is
> defined to have 150 entries, that's all I'll ever get, via MVS services.
However, as can be
> seen, there are more tapes available.
>
> I have read thru the CA-1 Tape Management Programming Guide, and there
appear to be
> numerous macros that can be used to access the catalog, but the narratives
for the macros
> leave something to be desired in the name of clarity when one isn't a CA-1
expert. And,
> before you ask, yes, I have asked CA-1 support for help but I am getting
the run around
> from them. For whatever reason, they just don't want to seem to help. It
may be a level 1
> protecting level 2 situation, or it may just be they don't want to take
the time to educate the
> user community. Whatever the reason, I need to look for alternative
assistance.

> So, if anyone has a snippet or three of code to OPEN, READ and CLOSE the
CA-1 catalog
> looking for a dataset name, I would appreciate it if you would be willing
to share.

> Thanks in advance,
> Chuck
>

> Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:chuck.har...@thermofisher.com>
> Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
> EAS Information Technology
>
> Thermo Fisher Scientific
> 300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275
> Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412)
490-9230