From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:30 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: SRST Performance (was: converting character to packed

On 2016-10-18, at 10:11, Martin Truebner wrote:

> TRT does a lockup for each and every char until terminating char is
> found or the maximum length is reached- the lockup is done against a
> table of 256 char.

Caching helps a lot.  How can the programmer insure that the table occupies the
minimum number of cache lines?

Does modern hardware optimize this further?

> SRST does a check of each char against a single char (plus the
> termination char).

Testing for multiple characters (e.g. non-numeric) requires multiple executions
of of SRST.  Is there a break-even point with TRT?
Again, caching the subject string helps.

And the next hardware model will change the rules.

-- gil