From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Charles Mills
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2017 12:07
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: LOC=64 executable code?

In other words, EXECUTABLE=YES is not some new RMODE=64 feature.

EXECUTABLE=NO is a new security feature. It is a guard against buffer overflow
type vulnerabilities in which a bad guy sends you some message (like a Web URL)
that is actually machine instructions and also manages to overlay code thus
causing a branch to the instructions in the message. You can now mark storage
non-executable, and the hardware will not allow a branch to it.

ALL storage today is EXECUTABLE=YES. EXECUTABLE=YES is not new; EXECUTABLE=NO
is new.

Charles