I love transactional processing.  I still remember the SHARE session where it
was fully described and thinking that this will make life so much easier in the
future.  But I may fully retire before we can safely add it to our products
without dual paths for another technique.  In this case PLO was used for
maintaining a doubly-linked list.  The alternative, which we use in other
situations, is a CS or CDS lock, which means code to spin a while, go idle (in
case of a uni or CICS QR TCB), clean up in case of an abend, timeout, region
termination, messages to tell us and operators what's happening, and dumps of
our control blocks.

I requested the PLO info because a programmer came across the instruction while
debugging a problem and had the PoOp open to the first page of the PLO
description and I am leaving on vacation.  And, truth be told, I'd have to
reread the PoOp again to describe just what I was thinking 10-12 years ago when
I added the instruction after a problem occurred where we'd previously assumed
the probability of two processes concurrently maintaining a doubly-linked list
were infinitesimal.  It turns out they were very small but finite.

Perhaps I'll start adding dual path transactional processes just so it's
documented that there is an alternative.

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect

DATAKINETICS | Data Performance & Optimization

Phone:  +1.613.523.5500 x216<tel:+1.613.523.5500%20x216>
Email:  weinh...@dkl.com<mailto:weinh...@dkl.com>

[http://www.dkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/dkl_logo.png]<http://www.dkl.com/>

Visit us online at www.DKL.com<http://www.dkl.com/>

[http://www.dkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/banner.png]<http://www.dkl.com/mailsig>

E-mail Notification: The information contained in this email and any
attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other
intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you
notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your
mail system.