The Target breach was based on DYNALLOC? This discussion has jumped the shark.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jon Perryman
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 4:26 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Dynalloc (was Macro processor)

Charles broke the cardinal rule in security ( never say never ). Viruses rely
on dynalloc. This vulnerability was used against Target where they were
recently fined $18 million and lost millions in revenues for their data breach.
In MVS, many of the dynalloc exposures don't exist but there are exceptions.
The most obvious and least complicated is by employee's. Put your dataset in
production JCL and it will be caught when added to the job scheduler. Put your
dataset into production program and it will usually go unnoticed. How about
Clist libraries that are often common and rarely protected. I'm sure I could
come up with more. In a virus attack, dynalloc is extremely important. The
Target incident took a few days before the virus propagated to a critical
environment. Without dynalloc, it would have taken many years (or centuries)
before it  propagated to the desired location.
Apparently cobol dynalloc is not well known and will probably not be fixed
until it becomes a problem. The real solution in MVS would be a SAF call in SVC
99 that allows security admins to restrict access of Dynalloc. The alternative
is for a code review when programs are moved into production.

In Unix, we solve the dynalloc vulnerability by segregating sensitive
applications onto a different machine and limit resource access to / from this
machine. The courts went batsh*t crazy and ordered extreme measures be taken by
Target (including extra audits and who knows what else). I think the courts
went batsh*t crazy to send a message to all companies (clean up your act)
because very few companies take the proper precautions. This is not a problem
specific to Target. They were just the first to be caught. I wonder how many
companies got the message?
Jon.

 On Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:13 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>