Not that I'm a fan of C but I'm surprised just about none of the comments
have mentioned metal C, especially when there are comments directed
towards using some of the assembler-only interfaces and thus challenging
how to use those in C..

<snip>
But there is a substantial portion written in HLASM which would not be
written in PL/X. Writing those in PL/X would have make MVS unmaintainable.

</snip>

The second sentence is untrue, unless you're thinking of some product like
JES which historically has made its source available for customer
modification.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design