<snip>
>> I wrote: Writing those in PL/X would have make MVS unmaintainable.
> Peter Relson wrote: The second sentence is untrue,
Peter, it would be interesting to see how PL/X has solved abstract coding
techniques. I know DCB is not written in PL/X. Could you show us a short
snippet of how you would implement this logic in PL/X?
</snip>

I do not recall what the logic was. I was responding to "unmaintainable".
The logic is not relevant. And there is a DCB macro available to PL/X
users. But that is unimportant. PL/X provides the programmer access to
assembler, and to machine constructs.  If you can do it in assembler, you
can do it in PL/X (even if "do it in PL/X" might be "tell PL/X exactly
what assembler to use").

<snip>
> Peter Relson wrote: Not that I'm a fan of C but I'm surprised
> just about none of the comments have mentioned metal C

For this topic, it doesn't matter whether it's C or Metal C.
</snip>

Sure it does. Because Metal C gives you access to assembler and to the
IBM-provided assembler executable macros. And that is what is being talked
about.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design