>> The storage bus has been at least 16 bits wide as long as anyone can
>> remenber.

> I remember the 360/30 (used one in high school), and I'm pretty sure
> it had an 8-bit bus. But I could be wrong.

The 360/30 has an 8 bit bus and 8 bit ALU.

The 360/40 has a 16 bit bus, but still 8 bit ALU.  Memory writes can be
eight or 16 bits.

The 360/20 has 8 bit memory, but can write four bit units.
Makes decimal instructions easier.  The ALU is four bits wide,
but can only add or subtract one.  I had one running at the
Living Computer Museum a few years ago, but it isn’t running now.

The museum is working on getting a 360/30 running, but so far it isn’t.

> So two processers both fetch the same 16-bit frame. One
> updates the even half; the other into the odd half. Both store.
> Last guy wins (sort of).

With only one processor, you still have I/O to consider.

And for the 360 and 370, the interval timer.  Tradition was to read
the old value and replace it with.a new value with one MVC.