Someone wrote:

> Thought it was a double word

> As in DS D

It is a doubleword, specifically a long (64 bit)  floating point type.

And yes,

     DS  D

and

      DS 0D

are commonly used when floating point is not intended.

And as Fortran programmers would know, E is the short (32 bit) floating point
type.

Now that I think about it, I don’t remember the assembler notation for 128 bit
(extended precision) floating point constants, though am pretty sure that it
isn’t the Q that IBM and DEC  Fortran uses.

I suppose I don’t see anything wrong with 0D for doubleword alignment, even when
not for floating point data.  Probably better not to use D or 2D or others,
though.

D would be the one that needed doubleword alignment for OS/360, and so its use
goes back that far.  One could use FL8 for fixed point data, but I suspect
without
doubleword alignment.