Charles Mills (and others) wrote about using FREEPOOL and/or RMODE31=BUFF. I
will dig into those.

To Mike Hochee: I can't leave the file open. The calls to the API are atomic
and have no persistence, so I don't know if this is one invocation of many, or
the one and only. The good news is that this isn't actually much of a problem,
because in normal usage with this API, you'd either terminate once you start
getting errors, or you'd be passing a message buffer so you can return those
errors to a client. It doesn't make a lot of sense to keep calling it with
errors and ignoring them (that is, letting them fall into SYSPRINT). But of
course I still want to fix it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I would not have tripped over either of
those any time soon!

.phsiii