From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of jba...@ngssallc.com [jba...@ngssallc.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:14 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: *-*

I must really be getting old, because I actually remember the origin of the
convention.

The convention of "*-*" in a length field was based upon an interpretation
of the expression "{address-of-last-byte}-{address-of-first-byte}" which
calculates the "machine length" of the field, which is one less than the
actual length of the field.

When moving a variable length field, the instruction had to be "EX(ecuted)",
so the programmer likely did not know the value of "{address-of-last-byte}"
at assembly time and in many cases did not know the value of
"{address-of-first-byte}" at assembly time, so the programmer simply
replaced each unknown with "*" and voila, we had "*-*".

We discussed this in assembler programming class some 47 years ago.

John P. Baker
Software Developer